Header Picture

View From the Trail to Mount Colvin

My Readers

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Travel Days

Location: Campbellsville, KY (High 87, Low 60)

Catskillpullingout

After a great summer, we were packed up and pulling out of our summer site right on schedule, around 10:30 on Thursday morning.

Thursday’s travel day was just the way we like it – uneventful. The section on 287 that goes by NYC was busy as usual, but since it was the middle of the Williamsport0906day, it was moving along smoothly. I saw from the signs that we were about 30 miles from the city.

 

But other than being busy with traffic and long, the trip was fine. We’ve taken the same route several times now and it was even starting to get a familiar feel. By 5 pm, we were settled into our spot for the evening.

IMG_6703Friday morning we wanted to get an earlier start. This ended up being a great move. We were traveling on new roads, and knew we were traveling through a mountainous region. IMG_6708I got an inkling of what was coming when I saw a break in the mountains up ahead and realized we were heading in that direction. I didn’t get a good picture of it – you can kind of see the break in the tree line off in the distance. We continued climbing and sure enough, we were going there.

IMG_6718

 

 

It was beautiful, but at the same time, we knew – what goes up, must come down!

 

IMG_6719

 

 

That was the beginning of our up and down, curvy road ride for the rest of the trip. 

IMG_6738

 

 

 

We haven’t yet done a lot of steep downgrades so they were nerve-wracking.

 

 

Huntington WV

 

We were so glad to land for the evening!

Harry0906

 

 

 

The best part of the day came after dinner! Dessert at Steak and Shake!!  Open-mouthed smile

 

IMG_6801

 

 

Yesterday morning was our third and final travel day. We were also arriving in a new state for us – Kentucky! Since this blog post is already pretty long and picture laden, I will save the rest of the story for tomorrow.

Lakewaysite

 

But suffice to say, we have landed and are settled into our site for the next three and a half months.

 

Today, we are going to check out Campbellsville.

6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed following your transitions & adventures over the last year - thanks for sharing. I'd love it if you would mention the names of the places you stop for the night on your way to your next long term location, and perhaps a quick review of each.. Particularly on your most recent trip, as we may be mirroring somr of your steps in the future. Thank you! Have fun, be healthy & travel safely. Amy from Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Amy! I actually started another blog that I was going to use for that, and I've just never been able to get myself into the habit of posting on it. I had the link to it on the sidebar of the blog and took it down a few weeks ago because I hadn't worked on it in so long. I will try to get our most recent stays up on there and list it again. :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, our first grades were a little nerve wracking too. George has the downhills mastered now, even though we don't have an exhaust brake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steak and Shake - they have the best milk shakes ever. Sure wish there were more of them out west but we're not so lucky. There is one in Las Vegas and you can be sure we will head there once we land in Vegas. Those ups and downs were good practice for you for when you come west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you arrived safely, I'm not looking forward to the trip from CO to AZ. I don't know if it'll be any better since I'm driving our other vehicle-trying that out this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never stopped at a streak & shake but after seeing that dessert I may be visiting one soon.

    ReplyDelete